Tuesday 5 June 2007

cut the class

Lifestyle....We've all heard the term and boy do agencies love to band it about, like it's something they came up with. I once fell into this trap during a presentation and stated that my client should use 'lifestyle' images. I was then asked: 'What is lifestyle?' I really couldn't answer. I also doubt that other agencies could have come up with a suitable answer. It's become a buzz word that really doesn't reflect the true meaning of the word. Lifestyle could be anything! Whos lifestyle? I like to read poetry when I'm drunk. That's part of my lifestyle. I sit in my garden and punish myself for the weeds that seem to be taking over. That's part of my lifestyle. So what does this awful word really mean?

Creatives would tell you that it's aspirational and that it illustrates what people want out of life. Bit general! I want a new guitar and motivation to dig up my weeds. Is that lifestyle? NO. Lifestyle has become the new class. Personally I hate the word 'lifestyle' almost as much as the word 'class' but pigeonholing is what marketeers do best, so if we have to embrace marketing and their sickly tags then we must try and understand that now, living in an environment of 'you can get what you want if you have the drive' a class system is out dated and so 'lifestyle' takes over. That's all it is. An adaptation of class to fit in with modern living.

So if ever you are told that you need to appeal to lifestyle do me and yourself one favour. Ask who's lifestyle and watch them squirm.

No comments: